Monday, October 21, 2013

Personal Mission and Vision Statements

This week in my class we are discussing mission and vision statements.  We will be looking at the mission and vision statements of various well-known organizations and then my students will begin drafting their own personal statements.  Part of helping my students draft their statements involves me sharing mine.  This meant I had to take a closer look at what my mission and vision really is.  As a statement of values and beliefs, my mission statement seems very clear to me.

I want to work towards consistently learning new things to improve myself everyday and leave the world a better place than how I found it.

To me that drives my everyday actions.  It gives me a purpose and something to work toward.  The vision statement is a little more tricky.  This is something more specific, more goal-oriented.  I'm currently at a loss for a current direction for my life, which makes coming up with a vision statement a little difficult.  All the ideas I come up with involve providing opportunities for other people and putting others in the best position for success.  What that tells me is that helping others reach success drives my own success.  The more I think about it, the more I realize that I do take a lot of pride in helping others and I do feel that I am good at serving others.  And that tells me that even though I am frustrated with the state of education in this country, I am still passionate about making changes to make it better.  And I'm passionate about it because I want to see others achieve success.  So my personal vision is to continue to encourage curiosity and creativity in others so that they may discover and innovate.  I will do this by working to put people in the best possible positions utilize their strengths and be successful.

It has been an interesting period of reflection today as I've worked through these two things.  I encourage all of you to reflect on your own mission and vision statements.  It might be an eye-opening experience for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment