Sunday, August 4, 2013

Sometimes I amaze even myself

Do you ever have those moments where you do something and you're just so proud of yourself for doing it, no matter how small it might be, that you just have to tell everyone about it?  Well I had one of those moments last night.  Let me preface this story by saying I'm not the most handy person on the planet.

So I went to turn on my garbage disposal last night and nothing happened.  All I got was a low humming.  I may not know much about garbage disposals, but I know that's not good.  I tried to look inside to see if I could find what might be causing the issue, but I saw nothing.  Then I looked under the sink.  I had no idea what I expected to find under the sink, and even if I did know I don't know what I would have done with it.  But I looked anyway and came up with nothing.  Discouraged, I figured I better call my warranty company and try to get a service appointment set up for someone to come fix it.  Since it is the weekend, though, nobody would be calling me back to set up the appointment until Monday, and who knows when they would actually be able to come.  So I took to the Internet to try to find a solution between now and then.  Every solution on the Internet had to do with broom handles and allen wrenches.  Well I found the allen wrench slot underneath the disposal just like the Internet told me, but I didn't have a wrench that would fit.  Then I remembered that there was an allen wrench in a random drawer under the sink that I had no idea what it was for.  Until now!  It was a perfect fit, just like Cinderella's glass slipper.  So I started turning until it was moving freely.  And then I tried the switch.  Church choirs could be heard singing as it worked like a charm.  I did it!  I, Adam Davi, fixed my garbage disposal all by myself.  This may not sound like a big deal to you, but it is to me.

This small victory comes on the heels of another minor home fix I accomplished a few months ago when I unclogged my shower drain by myself, with the assistance of a wire hanger.  While these might seem like two insignificant events in the life of a homeowner, they are a big deal to me.  Like I said before, I not the most handy person so I take victories wherever I can get them.

And on another small victories that amaze myself front, I recently crafted a stuffed woolly mammoth out of puff balls, duct tape, and pipe cleaners.  My arts and crafts skills are about as strong as my handyman skills, so being able to make something like that was quite an accomplishment.  Again, I was very proud of myself and have been bragging to everybody.

Most people don't seem to understand why I'm bragging about any of these things, but to me they are significant and I am proud of myself.  Just because they are not life altering doesn't mean they don't carry significance.  We should all be applauding each other when we accomplish something we didn't think we could, no matter how big or small the accomplishment may be.  So to all of you who have done something that amazes yourself, I applaud you and I'm proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment