Thursday, December 12, 2013

My Guide to Finals Success

As finals descend upon many students and schools across the nation I thought I would be kind enough to share my guide for a successful finals season.  While finals are a source for a lot of stress and anxiety for most students, I never felt that way.  I always treated it like just another series of tests.  And I always fared pretty well.  So here are some of my secrets.

1. First, I utilized the library.  I love the library at UA.  It's quiet and devoid of many of the distractions of home.  And for the first couple of years I was there, there was a big hole outside that I could stare into while I studied.  It was very calming for some reason.  But the bottom line is to find a place that is quiet.

2. Now I didn't spend all of my study time in the library.  I did do some at home.  And when I was home I always had a jigsaw puzzle going during finals week.  Puzzles help me relieve stress.  So I would work for an hour or so and then take a puzzle break.  It would help calm me down and get me refocused.  Then I could go back to studying with the right frame of mind.

3. As you study try to create the frame of mind you want to be in while taking the test.  I recommend a calm state of mind.  Recall of information is a lot easier when you can recreate the conditions that existed when you learned it.  That's why studying in your bed or when you are excessively stressed out isn't a good idea.  So if you find yourself excessively stressed, stop, and get yourself calmed down.

4. Eat comfort food.  Mine is pasta.

5.  Before I went to take any final I would always play the theme to Rocky to pump me up.
Seriously, if that doesn't get you jacked up to go pass your finals I don't know what will.

6. Before going into the classroom I made sure to pick up a Daily Wildcat, the school newspaper.  Remember, this was before the time of smart phones.  But I would sit and read the paper or do the crossword before the test.  I would not do any last minute studying.  I figured if I didn't know it by then, I wasn't ever going to know it, so there was no sense stressing myself out trying.  Don't think about the test until it gets passed out.  Center yourself first.

7. And finally, when all my tests were done I would go home and blast Ode to Joy.
It's a good feeling.

Well, that's it, those are my keys.  Will I guarantee that you will pass all your finals if you do these things?  No.  But I do think they will help.  If finals are an especially stressful time for you, maybe it's time you try something new.  If nothing else, hopefully this at least puts a smile on your face.

2 comments:

  1. I was a fan of making my pump up song match the subject matter of the class. Before any journalism final it was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydQBSB6sDjc

    And before any political science final, it was ALWAYS this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JivPEYjYd20

    ReplyDelete