Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Blanket vs Throw

My mother tried to school me on the difference between a blanket and a throw tonight.  I still don't understand.  I asked her if she had a blanket I could borrow that would fit a queen bed.  She wondered why I didn't have a blanket, and I told her I did, but it wasn't big enough for my bed.  She answered, "Oh, so you only have a throw."  I was confused and said I just had a small blanket.  She tried to tell me that was called a throw.  We playfully argued back and forth for a few minutes about it.  I still maintain that it is a blanket.  In fact, I would say all throws are blankets, but not all blankets are throws.

It's much the same with squares and rectangles.  All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.  Also, all watches are clocks, but not all clocks are watches.  All boulders are rocks, but not all rocks are boulders.  It turns into a fun logic game.  What other examples can you think of?

No comments:

Post a Comment