Wednesday, September 18, 2013

You look familiar. Do I know you?

Do you ever wonder why some people look familiar to you?  As if you've met them before and recognize them, but in reality you never have?  That seems to be happening to me a lot lately.  I see people who look familiar, but not necessarily that they look like someone I know, just familiar.  I try to figure out where I know them from or who they remind me of, but typically to no avail.  A brief Google search on the subject has provided no real answers.  But I'll offer some of my own thoughts on the subject.  I think people have certain facial characteristics that are quite similar to others.  Because the brain doesn't perceive the whole face but rather picks out recognizable features sometimes it triggers the notion that one person looks similar to someone else you have seen or met before who possesses similar features.  Did you get all that?  Now don't mistake me for a neuroscientist or anything, but this makes sense to me and I might have heard something similar on TV before.  So it might not be that you recognize the person as someone you know, but perhaps that you have just seen others in passing that share similar facial characteristics.  And that causes you to think that you may have met them before.

On a somewhat related, yet probably completely implausible note, I sometimes get the same feeling with names.  I see a person's name and it looks familiar, even though I have probably never seen the name before in my life.  But I try to figure out where I have seen their name before.  It could just be that the pattern of letters is similar to another pattern of letters I have seen before.  It could also be that I'm full of crap and just over thinking these random occurrences in my life.

But if any of you have your own theories on the subject please feel free to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment