Wednesday, September 25, 2013

What happened to TV?


The topic trending most in my life right now happens to be about a TV show that I don't watch.  It seems like everyone keeps asking me about Breaking Bad.  I understand the final episode airs this Sunday, and people are freaking out about it.  From what I can gather, it's a really great show.  But I don't watch it, and here's why.  First, I didn't start watching from the beginning and trying to start in the middle of the series is near impossible because you would be completely lost as to what's going on.  Second, I don't have Netflix or any of those other similar subscriptions, so I can't get caught up that way.  This makes it difficult to watch any serial-based television program.  And it seems like that is the direction many shows are heading these days.  There has been a decided shift from the episodic-based shows to serial-based.  Think about it, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy.  Not to mention all those premium channel shows that I don't watch because I don't get the premium channels.  But if you don't start from the pilot episode or don't have a way of catching up then you can't really get into these shows.  I feel like I got really lucky randomly catching the second episode of Sons of Anarchy.  I was instantly hooked and have been watching ever since.  In my opinion, it's the best show on TV.



But my question is, what happened to cause this shift?  How did we go from Law and Order and CSI, which were easy to watch just a single episode to where we are now?  And how do people keep up with all these shows?  I mean, you can't miss a single episode or else you're behind and lost.  Plus, you really have to pay attention while watching or you might miss something.  Don't get me wrong, I like many of these shows, especially Sons of Anarchy (have I mentioned that before?), but sometimes I just want to casually watch a show and not worry about what might happen in the next episode.  That's why I'm glad there are still shows like Psych to keep me entertained in an episodic way.



No comments:

Post a Comment