Sunday, September 8, 2013

My Hierarchy of Sports Teams

Now that NCAA Football and the NFL have both kicked off their seasons more people seem to be talking about sports.  And while I love talking sports, football isn't exactly at the top of my list of favorite sports.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching football, but I don't live and die with every snap of my favorite team like some people.  This did get me thinking, though, about my hierarchy of sports teams.  Which teams do I care more about and take more of a vested interest in?  For the sake of keeping this concise I will keep it to the four major professional sports and two major college sports.  Here we go!

1. Philadelphia Phillies
I'm pretty sure most of you saw that coming.  I live and die with this team.  Baseball is my favorite sport and the Phillies are my favorite team.  I watch every game that I can.  I plan my days around when the Phillies play.  I hate it when they lose, I mean hate it.  This year has been exceptionally difficult.  But even though the Phillies have no hope of making the playoffs this year, I won't give up on them and won't stop watching.  Even during the offseason I read articles about the Phillies and follow their moves.  The start of Spring Training excites me and I live for Opening Day.  That's why they are at the top of my list and always will be.

2. University of Arizona basketball
Bear Down!  College basketball is the perfect winter sport for me.  The season starts pretty much right after the World Series and the Final Four ends right around Opening Day.  That makes it perfect to occupy my time when there's no baseball to watch.  It also helps that I went to a school with a big time basketball program.  I love watching Wildcats basketball.  This is another team that I hate to see lose.  It just puts me in a bad mood.  And I hate missing a game.  I watch every game and I expect us to win every game.  But they are still just a notch below the Phillies because it's not baseball.

I had a hard time setting the order for numbers 3-5.  They kind of all blend together.  While I like all three teams and follow them all during season, I don't live and die with their results.  Since I can't really decide how to separate them, I've decided to lump them all together.

3-5. Philadelphia Eagles, Los Angeles Clippers, University of Arizona Football
The Eagles seem to continue to disappoint every season, but I keep watching and keep hoping they catch lightning in a bottle one year.  I'm not a huge football fan, but as a Philly sports fan I do love the Eagles.  But seeing as the beginning of the NFL season runs over the end of baseball season and the end of the NFL season runs through the middle of college basketball, the Phillies and Wildcat basketball tend to occupy more of my time.
I'm one of a few people who can proudly proclaim that he was a Clippers fan before their recent run of success.  Since they haven't really been very good up until a couple years ago it was really easy to casually root for them.  Now that they are better and more of their games are on TV it makes it easier to watch them.  But in the end they are still the Clippers and I don't keep my expectations too high.
Finally, UA football is another team that I don't really expect too much from.  For the first ten years I was in Tucson the team was abysmal.  They have been much better the past few years, and a lot more fun to watch, especially with Rich Rod as coach, but I'm still not as invested in every game like I am with the Phillies or Wildcat basketball.  I do still watch every game though.

6. Philadelphia Flyers
Finally, we have the Flyers.  I follow their progress throughout the year and watch them in the playoffs, but that's about it.  It was exciting when they were in the Stanley Cup finals a few years back, though.

So there it is, my hierarchy of teams.  What does yours look like?  What teams do you live and die with as opposed to just following casually?  Feel free to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment