Monday, August 29, 2011

It's Gotta Be the Shoes!

Has anyone else noticed the extravagance and importance placed on footwear lately?  Shoes, nowadays come in all kinds of different sizes, shapes, colors, styles, and anything else you can think of.  People are expected to wear "nice" shoes to church, job interviews, weddings, etc.  But why?  So they can feel more accomplished, look more stylish, or appear more respected?  Perhaps.  Shoes are often reflective of class status.  That's why there was such a rash of theft among Air Jordans, because they were a status symbol more than anything else.  I recently saw a bunch of sorority girls walking in flip flops while carrying fancier high heeled shoes with them.  I can only assume they were going to put the heels on when they got to their house so they could show off how much more sophisticated they are as people.  It seems silly to me that you would wear certain shoes to get somewhere only to put on different shoes because they are supposedly "nicer".  Which leads me to the real question at hand.  Why are "nice" shoes so uncomfortable?  And why can't we wear comfortable shoes in all settings?



How many of us have complained at one point or another that our feet hurt?  I'm guessing almost everyone.  So why don't we make every effort possible to wear comfortable shoes?  I mean, we invented comfortable shoes for a reason.  We were tired of our feet hurting!  But yet, if I wear Nikes to work so I can be more comfortable at work, I'm looked down upon as unprofessional.  What does wanting my feet to not hurt have anything to do with my professionalism?!  If a sorority girl wants to wear flip flops to a chapter meeting she should be able to without being looked down upon.  It's not disrespectful, it's just looking out for your own personal well being. 


Tell me these aren't classy!

Now I know there are certain instances where appearance counts and you want to make a good impression.  But if you are being judged solely on your choice of footwear, there is something seriously wrong.  People should be allowed to wear comfortable shoes without fear of persecution.  It is our right as humans to take care of our bodies, especially our feet, which we use so prominently in our everyday lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment