Saturday, March 21, 2015

Greatest Disney Animated Movie Sweet Sixteen

On to the Sweet Sixteen!  The second round wrapped up, and as has been the case through most of this tournament, there were no surprises.  Only one lower seed advanced, Robin Hood, which was a 5 seed beating a 4 seed, not much of an upset.  It did, however, make me happy because Robin Hood is my favorite Disney movie.  In the other matchups, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Tangled, Sleeping Beauty, and The Little Mermaid all cruised to easy victories.  So much for my Oliver and Company has a chance theory.  Snow White actually struggled for a bit against Lilo and Stitch, but eventually pulled away.  I don't quite understand the love for Stitch.  I've never liked that movie.  Anyway, here's what the bracket looks like now.




We're left with a lot of chalk.  The lowest remaining seed is a 7 seed, Dumbo.  But we certainly have some heavyweight matchups in this round.  All the remaining movies can be considered classics, so I'll try to hesitate using that term too much.  The first matchup features The Lion King versus 101 Dalmatians.  I don't think Dalmatians has quite the following to take down the behemoth that is The Lion King, but maybe they can make it a little closer.  The other matchup in this region might be a little closer.  Dumbo already pulled off one upset, knocking off Frozen, but The Jungle Book was one of my sleeper picks to go deep in the tournament.  This one might be close.

In the Aladdin region, the 1 seed should be a little worried going up against Peter Pan.  Honestly, I think this matchup could go either way.  Peter Pan is a timeless story, but Aladdin is favorite among my generation.  I'm intrigued.  The second matchup features two of Disney's earliest films, Fantasia vs Pinocchio.  I think this will be another close matchup.  Fantasia is a beautiful movie, but Pinocchio is Pinocchio.

The real question surfaces in the Beauty and the Beast region.  Can my favorite, Robin Hood, take down the top seed, Beauty and the Beast?  I love Beauty and the Beast, but nothing tops Robin Hood in my book.  It's so wonderfully uplifting.  In the bottom half of the region, Cinderella faces Bambi.  Bambi might be able to keep this close for a while, but I think Cinderella pulls away easily in the end.

The final region features 1 seed Snow White against the newest movie left in the bracket, Tangled.  Considering that Snow White struggled in its last matchup and Tangled has rolled so far, I think there might be an upset in the works here.  I know many people take issue with Snow White's story and characterization, but it's such a historical masterpiece that I would be sad to see it go out this early.  But maybe the other history buffs like me will push it through.  The final matchup is probably the toughest for me to vote for.  Sleeping Beauty and The Little Mermaid are two of my absolute favorites.  I think Sleeping Beauty is the best of the princess movies, but Little Mermaid was my favorite of the early 90s Disney revival films which were a huge part of my childhood.  I want to see both of them in the Final Four.  Why did I seed them in the same region?!  Stupid fairness and subjectivity.  Enough of this, let's vote.


Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey , the world's leading questionnaire tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment