Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Greatest Disney Animated Movie Elite Eight!

The Sweet Sixteen did not disappoint.  We had some very close matchups.  My personal favorite, Robin Hood, put up an incredibly valiant effort against Beauty and the Beast.  It jumped out to an early lead before Beauty stormed back.  Ultimately, Robin Hood fell by a single vote, 10-9.  While I'm a little heartbroken that it wasn't able to advance, I'm very proud that it put up a such a strong fight against one of the pre-tournament favorites.  In another one point decision, Aladdin edged out Peter Pan, 10-9.  This doesn't surprise me as much, as I thought Peter Pan would have a real shot to pull the upset.  In the end, though, it came up a little short.

Most of the other matchups were fairly competitive.  Bambi gave Cinderella a run for its money, falling only four votes shy.  Dumbo and Jungle Book went back and forth before Jungle Book pulled away and won 12-7.  Even 101 Dalmatians kept it close with The Lion King for a little while before falling.  The biggest blowout belonged to Pinocchio, which pretty much wiped the floor with Fantasia, winning 15-3.  I don't think that result is too surprising.

I was surprised, however, by how easily Snow White dispatched Tangled.  Based on previous voting results, I thought Tangled had an excellent chance to pull the upset.  But Snow White jumped out to an early lead and never looked back.  Unfortunately, the same could not be said for another of my favorites, Sleeping Beauty.  Despite taking an initial lead over The Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty lost steam and then lost the matchup, 13-6.  I was really hoping that would be a little closer and even though I also love The Little Mermaid, I wanted Sleeping Beauty to win.

Nonetheless, here is what the bracket looks like as we head into the Elite Eight.



The Elite Eight matchups offer some interesting matchups.  My prediction of an all early 90s Final Four is still a possibility.  Each of those early 90s movies are up against an age old classic.  The Lion King gets to try its hand against The Jungle Book.  I really don't see The Jungle Book getting enough love to win this matchup.

Aladdin, however, might have a fight going against Pinocchio.  There's something about Pinocchio that people love.  I think it has something to do with Jiminy Cricket and "When You Wish Upon a Star".  Although, Aladdin does have "A Whole New World" so this could be a battle of who likes which song more.

In the ultimate princess matchup we have Beauty and the Beast facing off against Cinderella.  I feel like these are the two princess stories that get the most love and are most referenced as being the quintessential princess dreams.  I guess we'll find out which princess comes out on top.

The final matchup pits Disney's first movie, Snow White, against the movie that revitalized the Disney brand, The Little Mermaid.  I'm starting to think that Little Mermaid may be the sleeper pick to win the whole thing.  Although, I underestimated Snow White in the last round, too, and look how that worked out.

But if you've read this far, then I've tortured you enough, so let's get to the voting!

Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey , the world's leading questionnaire tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment