Sunday, January 5, 2014

Twilight Zone Eerieness

There was a Twilight Zone marathon on TV over the New Year's holiday and I watched most of it over the two days.  It's a great show and is very well written.  I wrote a post a couple years ago about why The Twilight Zone is so much better than anything that's on TV now.  But one of the episodes I watched has really stuck with me even days later.  I feel the need to share it with you.  (Spoiler Alert:  If you don't want to know what happened in a TV episode that aired 50 years ago then stop reading.  But seriously, it's 50 years old.  If you haven't seen it by now, chances are you won't see it at all.)

The episode is titled "Probe 7, Over and Out".  It surrounds a man who has crash landed on a new planet.  His ship is damaged beyond repair and his home planet has no way of sending a rescue ship.  So he sets to learning about this new planet and making it his home.  He ends up meeting a female inhabitant of the planet.  She speaks a different language and seems timid.  He introduces himself as Cook, and she as Norda.  It appears she has also crash landed here.  She runs off in fear only to return later.  There's a realization that they need each other to survive.  They find a way to communicate better and decide to call this place, Earth.  They reintroduce themselves.  This time as Adam Cook and Eve Norda.  That's right, Adam and Eve!  The episode ends with her showing him an apple tree.

Now, my little synopsis doesn't do this episode justice.  The realization of what just happened while watching is just trippy.  And like I said, it has really stuck with me.  There has always seemed to be two camps of thinking: creationists and evolutionists.  But what if this Twilight Zone theory was true?  What if Adam and Eve were actually alien species?  Would that in turn make all of us aliens?  It's a lot to think about, and gives rise to some of the other conspiracy theories about aliens building the pyramids and such.  I'm not saying I believe any of this, but it has stayed with me since seeing the episode.  Really, it's just another example of the brilliance of Rod Serling.  We should all take some time to appreciate his genius.  And if you haven't watched The Twilight Zone recently, I encourage you to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment