Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Girl Scout Cookie Pyramid Scheme

I bought some Girl Scout Cookies today.  I'm not going to lie, $4 a box seems a bit pricey.  Yet, people clamor for these things every year.  And my coworker, who brought them in to sell on behalf of his daughter, kept pushing the whole "help support the Girl Scouts" routine.  So that got me thinking.  Where exactly does all this cookie money go?  And what am I supporting by purchasing them?

The only answer I could come up with is "I don't know."  The only time I see Girl Scouts in the community is when they are selling cookies.  So I'm not buying the community service thing.  And I know they earn badges, but my coworker said he has to buy the badges to put on the sash.  So the cookie money is going to supplying those.  He also said they have to purchase the uniform and pay a troop fee as well.  So that's even more money going to the Girl Scouts conglomerate.  And what do we get in return?  Just more cookies.

It's the ultimate pyramid scheme.  Every year, these cunning sales girls convince us to fork over gobs of money under the guise that we are supporting this wonderful organization.  We feel good and feel like we get something in return.  But we get nothing!  And the Girl Scouts continue to reap the benefits.  But damn those cookies taste good.

No comments:

Post a Comment