Sunday, January 27, 2013

Why I Love Groundhog Day!

With my favorite holiday less than a week away, I thought I'd share exactly why it's my favorite holiday.  People always ask me why I love Groundhog Day so much.  They say it's such a silly, stupid holiday.  And that right there is why I love it so much!

Groundhog Day represents all that is silly and goofy in the world.  It allows us to put an otherwise insignificant rodent on a pedestal for a day and celebrate its predictive abilities.  And more than anything else, it gives us a reason to smile.  For one morning a year we watch in anticipation as men in top hats with silly titles, like Thunder Conductor and Sky Painter, read a proclamation of the most famous groundhog in the world.  And even though deep down we know the animal has no control over the coming weather, we believe that he does, because we have no reason not to.  There's nothing evil or offensive about this celebration.  It is simply fun.  Fun that we need in this world.  Look at the stories that dominate our news: school shootings, lying athletes, political corruption, economic dismay.  We need more reasons to smile!  And Groundhog Day gives us a reason to smile.  It doesn't matter what race, gender, religious affiliation, or sexual orientation you are.  Everyone can partake in this celebration because it's for everybody.  Punxsutawney Phil has been on Oprah, met Presidents, supported causes, and inspired people around the world.  There have been songs written about him, games about him, and stories galore.  And what do all those things have in common?  They make people smile.

And unlike some of the more popular holidays, there's no stress or family obligations centered around Groundhog Day.  In fact, most of the time it gets overlooked and passed over with little to no acknowledgement.  There are no Groundhog decorations in the stores, no special sales, no television specials.  There is simply a groundhog and a town that has kept a centuries long tradition going as a way to help our society smile.  I could go on forever about my love for Groundhog Day, and I could share countless facts and anecdotes.  But the fine people of the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club have done that for me.  So I encourage you to visit www.groundhog.org and learn a little more about this holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment