Wednesday, April 16, 2014

My Top 10 Outkast Songs that You Probably Never Heard on the Radio

Yesterday I wrote about how my love of Outkast developed over the years.  And I mentioned that I wanted to share a list of my favorite lesser known Outkast songs.  So here is that list, in no particular order.

"West Savannah"
I love everything about this song.  The hook, the beat, the verses.  It's smooth and easy to listen to, and a great song to listen to while driving.

"Chonkyfire"
This song hits a little bit harder than "West Savannah" and it is very good.  I love Dre's verse in this song.

"SpottieOttieDopalicious"
A third straight song off Aquemini.  That should tell you something about that album.  It's fricken' great!  This song is easily in my top three favorite Outkast songs of all time.  It is absolutely phenomenal.  And much like the first two songs on this list, I could listen solely to the instrumental version of this song.  In fact, I could probably listen to the instrumental version of the entire Aquemini album and be in heaven.  If only listen to one song in this post, it should be this one.  You won't regret it.

"Grangsta Sh't"
This is a hyped up, angry song.  I love the pace, I love the flow, and I love to blast this in my car.  It's a good song to get me jacked up.

"We Luv Deez Hoez"
I like this song because I think it's funny.  And it has one of my favorite lines in any rap song, "I told you about taking those hoes to the Cheesecake Factory and letting them hoes order strawberry lemonade and popcorn shrimp.  They ain't gonna do nothing but try to get all your mother fuckin' cheese."

"Myintrotoletuknow"
Holy crap, what a power packed two and a half minutes!  This was quite an introduction to the world.  Two young kids announcing their presence with authority.  Twenty years later, this otherwise innocuous song on their debut album is as powerful as ever.

"Funky Ride"
This song is so smooth.  Listening to it will automatically put you in a good mood.

"Claimin' True"
Another song off their debut album.  The flow between Big Boi and Dre on this track is just great.

"Da Art of Storytellin' Part 1"
Another song featuring Outkast at their storytelling best.  And another song off Aquemini.  Be warned, there's a chance this song will absolutely mesmerize you.

"Stankonia (Stanklove)"
I can't really explain why I love this song so much, but I do.  It is absolutely bewitching.

Well, those are my ten, but let me tell you it was not easy to narrow it down to ten.  Remember, these are just songs that were not released as radio singles.  It would be too easy to put "ATLiens" and "So Fresh, So Clean" on a top ten list.  This is my way of recognizing all of Outkast's library.  And as you can see the list is dominated by songs from three albums, most notably Aquemini.  Seriously, it's an amazing album.  I did leave some songs off the list because they were more like solo tracks featured on Outkast albums.  But here's a shout out to "Tomb of the Boom", "Pink and Blue", "Morris Brown", and "Mutron Angel".  They are all great songs that I love listening to and deserve recognition.  And I also want to recognize "Int'l Players Anthem" because it features two of the best verses by Big Boi and Dre, but it isn't an official Outkast song.  Here's a little bonus video for you, though.

I hope you enjoy the list, and the music.  For those of you who are Outkast fans, feel free to share your favorite songs as well.  For those who weren't Outkast fans before, thanks for reading if you made it this far, and hopefully you're willing to give them a listen now.

No comments:

Post a Comment