Wednesday, April 9, 2014

My Guilty Pleasures - Movies

We all have guilty pleasures, those things we like but we know we probably shouldn't.  People have different ideas of what defines a guilty pleasure, but I look at it as something that society thinks someone shouldn't like.  So while I'm not really ashamed or embarrassed at liking these movies, society thinks I should be.  But I love them.  I own many of them and often find myself watching them when they are on TV.  It's a wide assortment of genres, and I like them all for different reasons.  So here is my list, in no particular order, of movies that I consider my guilty pleasures.

Josie and the Pussycats
This movie is hilarious.  It basically makes fun of itself for two hours, but in a way that totally works.  I know it's not a movie that many people like, but I love it.  Plus, Rachael Leigh Cook is very hot in it.  Here's the trailer.  It doesn't really do the movie justice, but if you haven't seen it, I recommend it.

Bring It On
A movie about cheerleaders should come as no surprise on a list about guilty pleasures.  But I like this movie more than just for looking at Kirsten Dunst and Eliza Dushku in skimpy outfits.  And I would be lying if I said that didn't help.  I actually like the story too, though.  It's fun and cheesy, and I find myself rooting for the characters.  This clip is a good combination of cheesy dialogue and hotness.

Clueless
This is generally considered a good movie, so I could probably get away with liking it without too many funny looks.  But it is still a movie about high school girls, so I still feel like society judges me a little.  It shouldn't, though.  This is seriously one of the best comedies of the 90s.  And it is by far Alicia Silverstone's best performance.  The movie is funny, clever, and poignant.

Fled
This is not a good movie in any way, shape, or form.  But for some reason I love it.  I remember seeing it because the name sounded so ridiculous.  And the way they use it in the film is even more ridiculous.  For some reason, though, I actually took a liking to it.  It's so bad that I just can't help watching it when it's on.  My friend and I make fun of it a lot, but I still watch it.  I can't really explain it.

Anaconda
This movie is kind of a cult classic.  It's a ridiculous movie that most people won't admit to liking, but deep down they actually enjoy it.  It has some great one liners and really cheesy moments, but it's a whole lot of fun.

Coyote Ugly
Another movie that I like for more than just hot girls dancing on a bar.  I just find myself rooting for Violet to make it big.  And John Goodman is great as the dad.  Plus, I really like the featured song in the movie.  I just like the whole thing.  Judge me if you want, but it's a good movie.

Where the Heart Is
Considering my obsession with Natalie Portman I'm not sure if this should count as a guilty pleasure, and it should definitely come as no surprise to anyone who knows me that it showed up on my list.  I love this movie!  First, Natalie looks incredibly hot in the movie.  Second, I love some of the inspirational messages in the film.  I could also include Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium for the same reasons, but this movie is just better.

The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle
Anyone who knows me knows that I love cheesy jokes.  And Rocky and Bullwinkle is full of cheesy jokes.  This entire movie makes me laugh.  I'm probably the only one, but I don't care.  I think everything about it is funny.

Hot Tub Time Machine
This is another movie that isn't really good, but I love it.  It's funny because of how absolutely ludicrous it is.  You can see a theme among the movies on this list that I like cheesy movies.  It doesn't get much cheesier than this.  I'm pretty sure this movie was made to pay homage to the 80s, while also making fun of them.  I don't even know if there was an actual script or if someone just thought of the title, which is awesome, and just let the actors roll with it.  This is one of my favorite moments from the movie.

So that's my list of guilty pleasure movies.  I'm not really ashamed of any of these, but I understand why they are guilty pleasures.  I hope you enjoyed reading about them, and maybe I have inspired you to give some of them another chance.  What are some of your guilty pleasures?  Feel free to share as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment