Monday, April 14, 2014

My Guilty Pleasures - Music

Well, I've covered movies and TV shows and now it's time to look at music.  Let me preface this post by saying that I have a very wide ranging taste in music.  Here is a quick look at a shuffle through my iTunes playlist:
1. Rock the Boat - Aaliyah
2. Run Tha Streetz - 2Pac
3. To Be With You - Mr. Big
4. Love You Down - Ready for the World
5. Just a Friend - Biz Markie
6. Oops... I Did it Again - Britney Spears
7. Shake Your Love - Debbie Gibson
8. Da Art of Storytellin' Part 1 - Outkast
9. Listen to Your Heart - DHT
10. Goodbye - Alicia Keys
11. Heartbreaker - Zapp and Roger
12. Caramel - City High
13. Trapped - 2Pac
14. Thought @ Work - The Roots
15. Bulworth - Method Man, KRS-One, Prodigy, and KAM
16. This Magic Moment - The Drifters
17. Troubles - Alicia Keys
18. The Ghetto - Too Short
19. One Day More - Les Mis
20. Jenifa Taught Me - De La Soul

As you can see it's a lot of hip-hop and R&B, but there's some teen pop and oldies mixed in there, and even a little Broadway.  I could have kept going so you could see more, but that's not what this post is about.  Although, I am a little surprised no Motown songs shuffled in because I have a lot of those.  But let's get to the heart of the matter.  Here are songs/artists that I enjoy that people give me funny looks about or think I shouldn't listen to.

I Want it That Way - Backstreet Boys
When this song first came out I didn't want any part of it, or any boy band song for that matter.  But secretly I thought they were all catchy.  Now that I'm older, I don't care.  I belt this song out in my car all the time.  I even performed it with a few friends.  Check out the video below.



And here's the original

MMMBop - Hanson
I don't care what you think, this song is awesome!  It's fun and catchy and one of the treasures of the 90s.  Don't deny it, you love it too.

Material Girl - Madonna
This is just a fun song to sing along to.  Madonna is generally considered OK for everyone to like, but I tend to get funny looks when I get caught singing along to this song.  Although, maybe it's my singing and not the song itself.

Hold On - Wilson Phillips
Admit it, when you hear this song you crank it up and start singing too.

Any combination of songs by Tiffany, Debbie Gibson, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam
I decided to just combine all of these artists because, well, it makes the point.  I don't really know what to say about this, but I like these artists and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Say My Name - Destiny's Child
I actually like pretty much anything that Beyonce touches, but I chose to single this song out because it's my favorite of hers.  When Beyonce performed at the Super Bowl Halftime show a couple years ago I was actually more excited about the Destiny's Child reunion than the actual game itself.  I might have shared too much there.  Just watch the video and be awed by the awesomeness of the song, and the video.

Chattahoochee - Alan Jackson
I make fun of country music a lot, mostly because I don't like it and don't get it.  But I used to listen to this song when I was a kid and I secretly still like it.  Let's see if any of my country music loving friends call me out on this.

Anything by Mariah Carey
Seriously, she has the most amazing voice.  She's had a few albums that weren't that great, but I'm willing to let that slide due to her overall greatness.  I've never really tried to hide my love for Mariah.  Her songs are awesome, so judge me if you want.  Recently, I've been going back to her early stuff, like this.

As I look through my iTunes library I realize I could go on forever with this list.  I have a lot of weird stuff on there.  The shuffle list doesn't remotely do my library justice.  But I will stop here and let you just soak all this in.  Once again, feel free to share your own guilty pleasures.  Don't worry, I won't judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment