Friday, February 21, 2014

My Brilliant Idea to Revolutionize Hockey

I watched a hockey game today, which is a rarity for me.  It was the USA-Canada Olympic semifinal match, so it was somewhat intriguing.  Four years ago when those two countries played in the Olympics, I watched intently and thought I could really get into hockey.  Turns out I was wrong.  It was just the novelty of watching those two countries battle.  Occasionally, I will watch a Stanley Cup playoff game, but usually only if the Flyers are playing.  Needless to say, I am not a hockey fan.  I don't necessarily dislike it, but I just don't get it.

And one thing I especially don't get is pulling your goalie.  I mean, I understand why it's done, to give your team an extra attacker when trailing to try to tie the game.  But it seems like an unfair advantage to the offense.  So I propose giving the defense a chance to counter.  Here it is, my grand idea:

Allow two goalies!

If one team can pull their goalie to add an extra attacker, the other team should be allowed to pull a defender and add an extra goalie in net.  Imagine how difficult it would be to score then.  And imagine how much better the offensive players would become if they had to learn to score against two goalies.  It's brilliant I tell you!

I realize hockey purists will surely mock this plan, but I'll bet that most of you agree with me.  Hockey needs something to re-energize interest in this country and I think this plan could be the way to go.  I know I would watch more.  Well, maybe not, but I still think it's a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment