Monday, November 25, 2013

Why Do We Listen to Sad Songs When We're Sad?

You know those times when you're feeling sad or depressed?  Do you ever listen to music to make you feel better?  If you're anything like me you do.  Except, I realize that I tend to listen to sad music when I'm sad.  The songs don't necessarily make me feel better, but exacerbate the feelings of sadness.  I can't imagine I'm the only one who does this.  In fact, I know I'm not.  But it got me thinking why we do that.  I mean I have a full playlist on my iPod that I will play just when I'm feeling down.  These are some of my go to songs when I feel sad.

TLC - "What About Your Friends"

Soul Asylum - "Misery"

2Pac - "Me Against the World"

Big Boi - "Tremendous Damage"

Smokey Robinson - "Tracks of my Tears"

Because I have these songs on my iPod they sometimes come up when I shuffle all, even if I'm not listening to that specific playlist.  But if I'm not sad I don't necessarily want to listen to them because they make me sad.  So I started to wonder why I listen to these songs when I'm already feeling sad because they don't make me feel less sad.  It's really a backwards way of doing things.  I do the same thing when I'm angry.  I have a playlist full of angry songs that just fuel my anger.  I think, though, that I, and perhaps we, do this because I feel like the artists can relate to how I'm feeling at the time and it's nice to know that others have felt the same way.  At least I think that may be why I do this.  What do you think?  All in all, I'd probably be better served listening to songs like this when feeling down to try to pick me up.

Bobby McFerrin - "Don't Worry, Be Happy"

Aqua - "Happy Boys and Girls"


I probably won't though, because during times of sadness it often feels easier to wallow in my misery than to try to get out of it.  Who knows, though, maybe just writing this post will inspire me to do something different.  And maybe it will inspire you to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment