Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Greatest Scene in Movie History

A couple weeks ago I got into a conversation with some coworkers about the greatest scene in movie history.  To me, it's a no-brainer.  There is one clear cut winner.  But I like to debate and I'm open to hearing what others have to say.  Unfortunately, this conversation was left with an "I'll have to think about it" and we never got back to it.  But I thought it would be a good idea for a post.  I even asked a friend of mine, who's an avid movie fan, for some of his suggestions.  He gave a lot of good ideas, none of which I thought could top mine.  When thinking about this post I thought about making a list of the top five greatest scenes, but upon compiling the I realized the difficulty of crossing genres, drama versus humor, dialogue versus cinematography, and so on.  In the end I thought it best to just showcase the scene which I think is clearly the best of all time.


The baptism scene from The Godfather is absolutely perfect.  The dichotomy of the two worlds portrayed, the church and the mafia, reflects the perpetual struggle of good vs evil.  It also represents the conflict that Michael Corleone will struggle with as the new godfather.  As he is publicly renouncing Satan and his sins, men are carrying out hits that he authorized in order to right the wrongs against his family.  It is such a powerful blend of imagery.  In my opinion, this is hands down the greatest scene in movie history.  I welcome your arguments and suggestions.  Did I get it right?  If not, what do you think is the greatest scene?  Please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment