Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Best Comic Book Movie Bracket Madness!!!!


The madness is back!!  After a one year hiatus, the Davi March Madness Mania has returned!!  I know you all can barely contain your excitement.  I, too, am having a hard time controlling my excitement, and I knew it was coming!  But let’s get to the good stuff, the explanation of this year’s bracket.

For the 2018 version of Davi March Madness, I decided to look at comic book movies.  At first I wondered if I would be able to get to 64 movies, but I quickly realized that numbers wouldn’t be an issue.  I started by listing out Marvel and DC movies.  That alone got me to 68 movies, so I thought that would be a perfect place to start.  I know there have been other various comic book movies that are not based on a Marvel or DC property, but by focusing on the two biggest companies, it makes things simpler and reduces the questions of why this movie was included and not this other one.  Plus, I don’t get paid to do this, so ranking 68 movies was far less daunting and time consuming than ranking 100 or so.  I know there will still be complaints about that decision, but, remember, this is supposed to be fun.



Now let’s get to how the movies were ranked and seeded.  I tried to be as objective as possible when seeding teams so I used a variety of criteria to rank the movies.  All 68 movies were ranked 1-68 using IMDB rating, Rotten Tomatoes Critic Score, Rotten Tomatoes Audience Score, and Box Office Gross (adjusted for inflation).  The rankings across all categories were averaged to create a composite score, and the composite score was used to create a master ranking of 1-68.  The top 64 movies were then placed in the bracket in a typical S-fashion, with the lowest ranked 1-seed in the same bracket as the highest ranked 2-seed, and so on.  
 
Once in the bracket I looked for any conflicts such as movies from the same franchise meeting in the first round.  I had to movie a couple movies around to avoid things like that, but kept them on the same seed line across the bracket.  For those who don’t have experience with the NCAA tournament bracket, teams are seeded 1-16 within four different regions of the bracket.  I maintained the same seeding structure as the NCAA and attempted to balance the regions as much as possible without compromising the overall seeding.  With the amount of Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) movies out there now, it was difficult to keep them completely separate.  But without further ado, here is the 2018 Comic Book Movie Madness Bracket!!!  Admire and enjoy! 


As I do every year, I leave the voting to you.  The first round of voting will be broken up into four different parts as we go region by region.  I will leave the voting open for a few days in each round before moving on, so make sure you get your votes in.  We are starting this year’s voting in the region of the Number-one overall seed, The Dark Knight.  Let’s take a look at the match ups!

1 The Dark Knight vs 16 Elektra
This one should be no contest.  Elektra barely snuck into the field and will likely get blown out by the behemoth that is The Dark Knight.

8 Ant-Man vs 9 X-Men: The Last Stand
Arguably the weakest of the MCU movies versus arguably the weakest of X-Men movies.  This one should be interesting, but I think Ant-Man has the advantage of being more recent.

5 Superman vs 12 Watchmen
The original Superman often gets forgotten among the mass of more recent comic book fare, but it still holds up surprisingly well.  Meanwhile, Watchmen has quite the cult following, so an upset could be possible.

4 Avengers: Age of Ultron vs 13 X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Another MCU versus X-Men matchup.  Once again, the X-Men franchise has better movies to offer up while the second Avengers movie was filled with exciting and memorable action.

3 Spiderman 2 vs 14 Green Lantern
I know many people would like to forget the Green Lantern movie, Ryan Reynolds included, but it still made the field.  And it gets served up to Dr. Octopus and Spidey.

6 X2: X-Men United vs 11 The Incredible Hulk (2008)
I know this is our third X-Men versus MCU matchup, but I promise they aren’t all matched up against each other.  I think X-Men gets the better of the MCU in this one, though.

7 Iron Man 2 vs 10 Superman Returns
The first attempt to bring back the Superman franchise did not go as well as planned.  Based on seeding this should be a close matchup, but I don’t see it playing out that way.

2 Deadpool vs 15 Ghost Rider
Deadpool was a huge hit both critically and with audiences, hence the high seed.  Ghost Rider starred Nicolas Cage.  This one could be close.

And now it is time cast your ballot!  Vote and share!!
If you are have trouble voting on a mobile device, try using this link https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PSZ3MSF


Create your own user feedback survey

No comments:

Post a Comment