Friday, March 14, 2014

Greatest Sitcom Bracket - Round 2 Begins!

Voting for Round 1 is now complete!  We are officially down to 32 sitcoms.  But before we start voting in the second round, let's recap the final region from the first round, the Cheers region.

This was officially the region of blowouts.  The closest matchup was decided by three votes.  Cheers won easily over Mork and Mindy by a score of 8-3.  This is no real surprise.  Cheers is widely praised and well loved, while Mork and Mindy is just sort of there.

In what I think is a bit of a shock, Happy Days cruised by Gilligan's Island 8-3.  While I'm not surprised that Happy Days won, I thought it would be a little closer.  I guess there's not that much love for the seven lovable castaways.  Meanwhile, everybody apparently forgot that Fonzi JUMPED A SHARK!!!!!  Oh well.

Next, Modern Family destroyed Welcome Back, Kotter, 10-1.  Again, I'm more surprised by the score than the outcome.  Phil Dunphy is quite possibly the funniest character on TV right now, and when all is said and done could possibly rank in the top ten all time.  Yes, he is that funny.  If you don't watch Modern Family, you should.

The closest matchup in this region saw Golden Girls beat The Odd Couple 7-4.  Both shows are very funny, but anything with Betty White should win.  And it did.

Roseanne won another blowout, 10-1, over Green Acres.  I never really got into Roseanne, but it was a very popular show, hence the high seed.  Green Acres was also popular, which is why it is in the bracket, but it didn't have nearly enough to get by Roseanne.

In an upset, That 70s Show beat out Frasier 8-3.  Personally, I'm pleased with this result because I never really liked Frasier and I love That 70s Show.  I wasn't sure it could win, though.  I guess the voters like a bunch of stoner kids more than a neurotic shrink.

Another upset and another blowout saw I Dream of Jeannie defeat Two and a Half Men 9-2.  Two and a Half Men has run for a long time, which shows that it must be popular, but I Dream of Jeannie is iconic and great.  And the vote shows just that.  It is still loved.

And in the final matchup of the region, The Cosby Show won in unanimous fashion over Wings.  Cosby and I Love Lucy are the only unanimous winners from the first round.  They are also my picks for the championship match.  We'll see what happens.

So here is what the bracket looks like after Round 1.

Greatest Sitcom Bracket

So now let's move on to Round 2!  The first round of voting will look at the I Love Lucy and Friends regions.  In the Lucy region I think all the top seeds will advance.  Although, I'm curious to see how the Murphy Brown-Big Bang Theory matchup plays out.  In the Friends region, however, I see two possible upsets with Full House and The Brady Bunch.  I would not be surprised to see either or both of those shows advance.  But enough of my silly predictions, let's get to the voting!


Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey , the world's leading questionnaire tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment