Saturday, March 8, 2014

Greatest Sitcom Bracket Part II Recap and Voting Part III

We are halfway through the first round now after voting has concluded in the Friends region.  Let's take a look at some of the matchups and then open up voting in the next region.

The 1-16 matchup was actually a lot closer than I ever imagined, even though it wasn't actually that close.  But Friends only won by a score of 9-4.  That's right, The Facts of Life received four votes!  That floors me.  Nonetheless, Friends still advances.

Speaking of close matchups, the next two were both decided by a single vote.  First, The Beverly Hillbillies took out Malcolm in the Middle 7-6, proving that the classics still have some staying power.  Personally, I grew up watching reruns of The Beverly Hillbillies and think it is absolutely great.  I wasn't sure how popular it would be among my readers, though, especially going up against a more recent show.  And while I'm glad to see it advance, I don't think it gets past Friends in the next round.

In our next close matchup Full House took down Home Improvement in an upset by seed only.  I knew this one would be close.  Both shows are great.  I think Full House has more of the nostalgic feel, and appeals to more people, though.

And facing Full House in the next round will be Sanford and Son, who beat Arrested Development 8-5.  This was an interesting matchup because Arrested Development has a huge cult following and Sanford and Son has been out of syndication for a while.  Personally, I don't get the big deal with Arrested Development.  I'm glad to see Sanford and Son take it out and give the classics some more love.

The bottom half of the bracket was not nearly as close.  The Honeymooners easily knocked out 3rd Rock From the Sun.  That was fairly predictable.  3rd Rock was very popular in its first few years, which is how it earned its spot in the bracket, but I don't think it has the staying power that The Honeymooners has.

In another upset, The Brady Bunch easily dispatched Taxi (pun intended).  I think The Brady Bunch is a sleeper in this bracket.  It may do some damage.  People love that show.

And in the most lopsided victory of this round Everybody Loves Raymond knocked out Maude 12-1.  Again, this doesn't surprise me because I'm not sure how many of my readers are familiar with Maude.  Raymond is going to have a tough matchup in the next round, though.

Seinfeld won, which comes as no real surprise, but what is surprising is that Designing Women managed to pick up two votes.  I guess there's something to be said for southern women.  In any case, the show about nothing moves on.

So here is how the bracket looks after the first two regions completed voting in Round 1.

Greatest Sitcom Bracket

So now we move on to the next region, the MASH region.  There's a lot of old vs new shows in this region so I'll be interested to see how things turn out.  Please keep voting, and share with your friends, too!


Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey , the world's leading questionnaire tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment