Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Greatest Sitcom Bracket Part I Recap and Voting Part II

OK, the first round of voting is complete, so let's have a look at the results!

In our first matchup, the juggernaut that is I Love Lucy easily dispatched ALF.  There's not much to say about this result.  I think I Love Lucy is probably the favorite to win the whole thing, so I don't see it getting tripped up anytime soon, if at all.

In the 8-9 matchup, Three's Company coasted to a pretty easy win over Alice.  This may be more of a case of name recognition for my audience, as I'm not sure how many of my readers are familiar with Alice.  Either way, it's a good showing for Three's Company, but it will be up against a monster in the next round.

The third matchup was much closer, as The Big Bang Theory squeaked by with an 8-5 win over Newhart.  I'm a huge fan of The Big Bang Theory, and I also think Bob Newhart is one of the funniest comedians out there.  His guest appearance on The Big Bang Theory are absolutely hilarious as well.  If these two matched up twenty years from now, the outcome might be different, though, as I think Big Bang has more of an advantage seeing that it is currently airing and is fresh in the minds of voters.

Another relatively close vote in the 4-13 matchup, with Murphy Brown taking down The Addams Family 9-5.  The Addams Family only aired for two seasons, but is probably one of the most iconic shows out there.  Most people are familiar with the show and this was actually my upset pick in this region.  But I guess I was wrong.

Moving to the bottom half of the bracket, The Mary Tyler Moore Show won fairly easily over Laverne and Shirley.  I was actually surprised that Laverne and Shirley ended up being such a low seed, but the numbers just weren't there.

In our closest vote in this region 30 Rock and Growing Pains actually tied at 7 votes apiece.  How do we break a tie in this bracket?  Well, as the commissioner, my vote will count as two, and in this case, I voted for Growing Pains.  Sorry, Liz Lemon fans, but we have our first upset of the tournament, with the 11-seeded Seaver clan taking out the 6-seeded 30 Rock.

I thought the 7-10 matchup would be a little closer, but Who's the Boss won pretty convincingly over Coach.  I think Alyssa Milano probably had something to do with that.

And in the last matchup in this bracket, The Dick Van Dyke Show took out Spin City.  Like I Love Lucy, DVD is another juggernaut.  This was no surprise.

We have some intriguing matchups in the next round, but I see the heavyweights all advancing easily.  Of course, I could be totally wrong.  I'm curious to see what will happen in the Murphy Brown-Big Bang Theory matchup, though.

Here's what the bracket looks like after the first round of voting.

Greatest Sitcom Ever Bracket

And now it's on to the Friends region!  Cast your votes and share with your friends (haha, see what I did there?!).  I'm really interested to see how the Home Improvement-Full House matchup turns out.  This region will be open for three days before the next one opens up.


Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey , the world's leading questionnaire tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment