Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Greatest Sitcom Bracket Part III Recap and Voting Part IV

Voting has now concluded in the MASH region, so let's take a look at the results before we move on to the final region.

In the 1-16 matchup MASH won, unsurprisingly.  I'll be honest when I say that NewsRadio probably shouldn't have made the bracket, but it's one of my favorite shows and I had to fit it in.  I figured it didn't matter much who ended up as the 16 seeds since they would likely get beat fairly soundly.  And so far they have, but at least NewsRadio can say it made the field.  It even picked up four votes!

The 8-9 matchup was a little closer, but The Office pulled away late and ended up winning 10-6 over Mad About You.  This isn't too surprising.  I'm not sure how many people still remember Mad About You, whereas The Office is still very popular.

The next two matchups were very close.  The Andy Griffith Show took out How I Met Your Mother by a score of 9-7.  I haven't jumped on the HIMYM bandwagon, even though I know many people who swear it's the funniest show on TV.  Andy Griffith on the other hand is just an absolute classic, and it's nice to see it still has the chops to take down a current show.

Our next close matchup featured Will and Grace versus The Munsters.  Will and Grace ended up winning by one vote.  The Munsters, like The Addams Family, only ran for two seasons, but has remained in the public eye since its initial airing.  It's another classic.  Will and Grace, however, was a hugely popular show which won a lot of awards.  We'll see how it does in the next round against The Andy Griffith Show.

In our next matchup, Family Ties took out Married with Children 10-5.  This was a little surprising.  I thought Married with Children might make this a little closer, but it clearly wasn't enough to challenge Alex P. Keaton.

The next matchup was actually quite surprising.  Even though The Fresh Prince of Bel Air was the lower seed, I fully expected it to beat Bewitched.  But Bewitched got out to an early lead and the Fresh Prince was never able to catch up, finally falling 9-7.  I really thought the popularity of Fresh Prince and the fact that Bewitched has been out of syndication for some time would lead to an upset.  I see I was wrong, and I'm good with that because I love Bewitched.

In the 7-10 matchup, The Jeffersons beat Night Court 9-5.  The Jeffersons is actually one of the longest running sitcoms in this bracket and has one of the most recognizable theme songs.  I'm sure that had something to do with its victory.

And finally, in what could only be expected, All in the Family took down A Different World.  If I were to handicap this region, I would say All in the Family and MASH are on a collision course with each other.  But, who knows, I'm sure there could be some more surprises.

Here is what the bracket looks like after the MASH region has completed.

Greatest Sitcom Bracket

And now it's time to finish off the first round and start voting in the Cheers region.  There's a lot of classic shows in this region, so I'm excited to see how the voting turns out!


Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey , the world's leading questionnaire tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment