Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Best One Hit Wonder March Madness Bracket Reveal and First Round



We’re back with another fun pop culture March Madness bracket!  This year we take our first venture into the world of music and try to determine the best one hit wonder of all time.  I’m already expecting lots of differing opinions on this one as I know musical tastes are wide and varied.  Nevertheless, I did my best to narrow down the large list of all time one hit wonders to a top 64 for purposes of this bracket.  I started with a list of over 200 songs, which made data collection quite painstaking.  I thought about expanding the bracket to 128 this year, but thought that might set a bad precedent that I wouldn’t be able to replicate in future years.  

In order to narrow the list I compiled data on Billboard chart performance, music magazine lists on one hit wonders, and YouTube views.  From there, I ranked each song based on its performance on the various data sets and came up with an average rank which I used to start the seeding process.  Once I had initial seeds, I wanted to make sure the final list had songs that were still culturally relevant and that a majority of people would recognize.  And while the 80s and 90s are heavily represented on the list, I tried to make sure all eras of music were represented.  Therefore, I made some executive decisions to move some songs in and some songs out of the final bracket.  I can’t wait to hear which songs you all think are missing from the list.


I hope you all have fun with this year’s bracket and dance along with the music as you cast your votes.  You can vote below as well as see the entire bracket.  I have also included a Spotify playlist so you can listen to the songs in the bracket.




No comments:

Post a Comment