Friday, May 2, 2014

That Seems Like an Odd Place for a Sink

I saw something today that absolutely floored me.  Outside a row of port-a-potties there was a portable sink.  That's right, a sink!  Complete with soap, water, and paper towels.  Now, I know it's not unreasonable to want to wash your hands after using a port-a-potty, but I feel like there are just some times in life when you accept being dirty.  Using a port-a-potty is one of those times.  You go into it knowing that it's gross, but you use it because you have to.  I don't know what the fatality rate from using one is, but it can't be that high.  But now we are so afraid of the germs that might be in one, that we have to put a sink outside?!  When those little hand sanitizer dispensers started showing up near port-a-potties, I could understand that.  But a sink is where I draw the line.

When I was growing up, we didn't have sinks outside of port-a-potties, we were allowed to walk to school and play outside, McDonald's didn't sell salads, and as far as I was concerned everything was organic.  And, you know what?  We all turned out fine.  Well, more or less.  I blame the general lack of common sense on a variety of other things that I will save for another post.

But all of these things seem to be born from fear.  Fear of what, I don't know.  I understand trying to be healthy and take care of your body, but at what cost?  Sometimes we just have to let things be and trust that the world won't kill us for doing so.  Maybe I'm just overreacting to a sink, but it just made me shake my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment