Monday, July 1, 2013

My Ten Favorite Words

We had a competition at work recently to see who could use the most creative adjective in an introduction of ourselves.  This got me thinking about my favorite words.  Don't judge, you know you have favorite words also.  And now I'm going to share my list with all of you.

1. Platypus
Go ahead, say it.  And now you're smiling.  It's just a really fun word to say.  I can't even explain why, but it tops my list.

2. Woolly Mammoth
I know this is two words, but they fit so perfectly together.  Again, they're just fun to say.

3. Ubiquitous
This is an SAT word at its finest.  Any chance I get to throw this one out there in conversation I take it.

4. Plethora
There are a plethora of reasons why I love this word.  At the top of this list is the fact that it just rolls off the tongue.

5. Orlando
I don't know why.  But when I say it, I get real dramatic... and then smile.

6. Loquacious
I can occasionally be a loquacious person, even more so when I can use the word in conversation.

7. Mellifluous
It means harmonious, just like it sounds.

8. Crayon
Again, I don't know why.  I just like it for some reason.

9. Bodacious
Because when I say it I like to pretend I'm a surfer, or a ninja turtle.

10. Waffle
Not only are they delicious, but they're fun to talk about as well.

So what are your favorite words.  I'd love to hear you all share.

2 comments:

  1. I like # 3 and 6 best. I used to mispronounce #4. That's what happens when you read more words than you hear. Left to my own devices, I consistently find new ways to mispronounce things. When I was a kid I used to think that rendezvous (mispronounced as rend ze ves) was a synonym for rendezvous. That has to be one of the coolest sounding words too, but does it count if it's French? (Not that most of our words don't already come from either Old German or Old French)

    Another favorite of mine is chrysocolla. I like the way it sounds, and the rock itself is amazing.

    Frolic is a cool word.

    I also like ambiance. It would make a great name for a restaurant or wine lounge.

    I also am partial to words like zeal and zest whose sounds seem to capture the true essence of their meaning.

    I also really like alliteration, even very cliche phrases like bubbling brook or whispering wind. I could probably make a very long list, but alas, it's past my mind's bedtime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course French words count! They're still words. Chrysocolla is a good one. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete