Sunday, June 30, 2013

Resolutions Update

Well, we've made it halfway through 2013 and this seems like a good time to take a step back and reflect on the year so far.  Plus, at the beginning of the year I made a list of resolutions that I wanted to accomplish.  So let's take a look at how I've done with those.

1. I want to read at least one new book each month
- So far so good on this one!  Through six months I have read six books.  Here is the list too:
January - Chasing Moonlight: a great book about the true story of Moonlight Graham
February - The Great Gatsby: I reread it because it had been awhile and the new movie was coming out.  I haven't seen the movie yet, though.
March - Fish Philosophy: a book about the business philosophy of Pike's Place Fish Market
April - Zig Zag: an awesome book by Keith Sawyer about the power of creativity
May - Hidden Mickey 3: the third book in the Hidden Mickey mystery series
June - Hidden Mickey 4: the fourth book in the Hidden Mickey mystery series
Looking ahead, I'm pretty confident I can accomplish this one.

2. I want to write at least 100 blog posts
- Well, I should be around 50 posts right now to be on pace to complete 100, but this post is number 39 of the year.  I have some work to do, but I think I can do it.

3. I want to start exercising more.  I'm not exactly sure what that means, so we'll see how this one goes.
- I did start walking more during the day, but then it got really hot and I kind of stopped.  Since I didn't really define what this resolution meant, I'd have to say I'm doing OK with it.

4.  I want to stop cussing.  I have no real reason why I want to do this, or how, but I feel like it would be a positive change.
- This has definitely not happened, especially after spending the last week with a bunch of baseball coaches.  I still think it would be a positive change though.

5. I want to cross at least one thing off my Life List.  Obviously, more than one would be great, but I'm not trying to get crazy here.
- This is going to happen in August when I begin teaching my first college class.  I'm also hoping to be able to brew my own root beer at some point this year.

6. I want to hang some pictures in my home office.  This isn't much of a resolution, but I figure if I write it down here I will be more apt to do it.
- Yea, I still haven't done this.

7. I want to talk to friends and family more.  Too often I wait for people to contact me, so I want to switch that up a little and be the one to initiate the contact.
- I'm not sure how to evaluate this one.  I've tried to do a better job with this, but I've also gotten the impression from some people that they don't really want to talk to me.  This has really been a source of contention within myself so far this year.

8. I want to gain some self confidence and learn to like myself a little more.  This is probably the biggest and most important thing I want to accomplish this year.
- I have definitely not done a good job with this.  In fact, I've probably taken a step backwards this year.  And many of the things I said I wanted to do to help this, I haven't followed through with.  I guess I still have six months to turn this around, though.

9. I want to do something every day to make at least one person smile.  I'm not sure how I'm going to accomplish this, or how I will even know if I make it happen, but I'm going to try.  So don't be surprised if you get a random message from me or if I call you just to tell you a joke or something.
- I started off this year really making an effort to do this and trying to keep track of my efforts.  That didn't last very long.  I do think I do a pretty good job of making people smile though.  It's just a matter of doing it everyday.
10.  I want to floss more.  I know we all say this after going to the dentist, but this time I mean it.  I heard that you can add six years to your life just by flossing!  That didn't mean much to me before because I thought the world was going to end this past December.  But clearly that was a hoax, so now I have more reason to floss.
- I have completely failed at this, as evidenced by my latest visit to the dentist.  But I am taking efforts to change this, and you will see a specific update related to this in the next few days.

So basically, there has been some progress towards accomplishing each of these resolutions, but there is still a lot of work to be done.  With six months left in the year, we'll see how I do.  How are all of you doing with your resolutions?  This might be a good time for you to reflect as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment