Sunday, August 3, 2014

Some thoughts after watching The Internship

I watched The Internship for the first time last night.  I realize I'm about a year late on this, and most people have probably forgotten about this movie, but I have some thoughts.  Aside from the fact that the movie really wasn't that funny, it was filled with horrible people that just frustrated me.  When I say horrible people I mean they were rude, inconsiderate, mean, self-absorbed, and awful.  What really surprised me is that the movie was full of them.  It wasn't just one horrible person.  They kept showing up throughout the movie.  And they didn't enhance the movie.  They didn't make me root for the protagonists more because they protagonists weren't standing up to the jerks.  The message that was sent was that the world is full of horrible people and if you just keep an attitude of hopeful optimism you'll come out on top.  While I appreciate that the horrible people didn't end up winning, I didn't like that the filmmakers felt the need to fill this fictional world with so many of them.  And on top of that, I was just accepted that these people were rude and mean.  No one said anything or called them out on it.  This isn't the only movie or TV show like this either.  I'm tired of seeing the acceptance of horrible people in pop culture.  It makes it acceptable to act like that in real life.  I know there are horrible people in real life, but I want to see movies and TV shows portray a responsible reaction to them.  I feel like we glorify this behavior with the portrayals we see in entertainment.  And The Internship showed that horrible people are everywhere and they are more qualified to do the job.  Maybe I'm overreacting to a forgettable movie, but I really didn't enjoy watching these people on screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment