Sunday, December 16, 2012

End of the World Playlist

As many of you are aware, the world is going to end on December 21.  Or maybe it won't.  Who knows.  Therefore, this could be the very last blog post I ever write.  Or all the mass hysteria and panic which may ensue this week could all be for nothing when we wake up on December 22.  Either way one thing is sure; I get a chance to put together a rather unique playlist.  And even if the world doesn't end this week, I'm sure there will be another Armageddon panic down the road when I can break it out again.

When thinking about what songs to include on this playlist, I thought about what songs best represented the end of the world.  Others suggested putting songs on there that represent happy memories from your life or your favorite songs that you would want to hear one last time.  I didn't go that route.  So without further ado, here is my list, in no particular order.

First, no end of the world playlist would be complete without a song about, well, the end of the world.  So as cliched as it may be, R.E.M.'s "It's the End of the World as we Know It" makes the list.

Next up, we "The Final Countdown" by Europe.  Again, it's pretty self explanatory, but let the countdown begin.

"Live and Let Die" by Wings is my next selection.  What is considered by many to be the best James Bond theme song makes the cut based on theme.  The live performance I've included here even has explosions and fireworks, which could very well happen as the world ends.

I'm going to go with another theme based selection next with Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun".  This video is really creepy, by the way.

Let's switch it up and bring in a little hip hop flavor.  Bone Thugs n Harmony's "Tha Crossroads" represents what I'm sure many of us hope will happen after the destruction.  Plus it's just a cool song.

Let's keep with the theme of making it to heaven and go with "Knocking on Heaven's Door".  I'm going to use the Guns n Roses version of the song because I like it better.

How about one more heaven song?  This one has a little different feel, but I'm sure it represents the way many of us might feel as the world comes crashing down around us.

And then of course there is this song.  Judgement day, doomsday, it's all the same.  And while I don't think robots are going to take over the world and wipe out humans, you never know.

Next, let's go with another hopeful song, "I Will Survive".  I realize it's a song about surviving a breakup, but still, you know people will be singing it if the world does start to collapse.

We can follow that up with a little Destiny's Child expressing the same survival motif.

This seems like a good place to put another song that is really only appropriate by title.  But, again, I can picture people belting this out during the fallout.

And how about a song for those positive thinkers out there who may think the end of the world craze isn't going to be that bad.

Ok, let's wrap this up and finish off my list without the videos, since I'm sure anyone who's still reading this post has already given up plenty of their time.  So here goes, the rest of my list.
"In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins because, well, I assume there would be something in the air that signal the end is near.
"People Get Ready" by The Impressions, partly because of the title, but also because it has a message of hope and positivity (not sure if that is word, but I used it in a sentence, so it's all good).
"Hell on Earth" by Mobb Deep for obvious reasons.
And honorable mention to songs such as "Stairway to Heaven" and "Highway to Hell".

I hope you all enjoyed the list, and the videos.  Feel free to tell me why certain songs on the list are bs, or let me know which songs you would include.

No comments:

Post a Comment