Here's some Round 2 analysis:
- Our first #1 seed went down. Woody Woodpecker lost to the Roadrunner, and based on his near loss on in Round 1, I can't say I'm surprised. Personally, Woody Woodpecker would be in my Final Four of greatest cartoon characters, but I'm thinking many of you find him annoying. He still has his star on the Walk of Fame, though.
- We also lost two #2 seeds in this round: Popeye and Betty Boop. These are two of the oldest characters on the list and their high seed was more a result of their iconic status than anything else. I guess icons don't get a free pass to the Sweet 16.
- Despite having a strong first round showing, the Animaniacs failed to put up much of a fight against Fred Flintstone. I look forward to the Flintstone-Scooby matchup in Round 3.
- Foghorn Leghorn pulled off another upset, taking down Rocky and Bullwinkle. Foghorn continues to surprise as the Cinderella of the tournament. He'll have a tough task ahead of him in the next round, though, as he takes on Bugs Bunny.
- Not a single region had the top four seeds advance.
- Three double digit seeds advanced: #10 Papa Smurf, #11 Chilly Willy, and #13 Foghorn Leghorn
- There are four Disney characters left, four Looney Tunes characters, and five Hanna- Barbera characters
- Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Snoopy, Scooby Doo have all breezed through to this round, but I think they might get tougher challenges in this round.
- Fred Flintstone and Charlie Brown are the only animated human characters left
- There are two matchups pitting the same studio against itself: Fred Flintstone vs. Scooby Doo for Hanna-Barbera, and Bugs Bunny vs. Foghorn Leghorn for Looney Tunes (Warner Bros.)