Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Greatest Cartoon Character Bracket - Round 2

Well, Round 1 is in the books and we're down to 32 characters now.  I appreciate all those who took the time to vote and I encourage you all to vote in Round 2, which runs through Friday.

Here are some observations from Round 1:
  • Both Simpsons characters, Homer and Bart, were eliminated in the first round.  I'll admit Bart had a tough first round matchup against Donald Duck, but I thought Homer would breeze into the next round going up against Foghorn Leghorn.  I guess Foghorn's classic appeal was too much to handle.
  • Woody Woodpecker won a close battle with Speedy Gonzales.  I totally underestimated Speedy's popularity.  In my opinion, Woody is one of the all-time greats and I think he should easily breeze into the Elite Eight, if not the Final Four.  Apparently, others don't share that opinion, as there was strong support for little Speedy.
  • Barney Rubble upsets Underdog.  This was one of two 14 over 3 upsets, but Transformers over Porky Pig was not as big a shock as this.  Underdog has a balloon in the Thanksgiving Day parade for crying out loud.  I really did not see Underdog getting bounced so early.
  • Chip and Dale won pretty easily over the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  If I had to predict the matchups, I would have thought the Turtles would win this matchup.  This is another example of the old school beating out a newer cartoon.  Personally, I like it.
  • Sentimental favorites like Grape Ape, Hong Kong Phooey, and Secret Squirrel all lost their opening matchups.  I'm a little sad that neither of those three made it to the second round, but I will admit they were not the most popular of the Hanna-Barbera cartoons.
And now some Round 2 analysis:
  • Pluto was the only Disney character not to advance to Round 2.  I think at least two more will bow out in this round.
  • The Barney Rubble-Chilly Willy matchup ensures that a double digit seed will advance to the Sweet 16.
  • The Animaniacs had a strong performance in Round 1 and I expect them to have another strong showing against Fred Flintstone in this round.
  • I predict that at least one, if not two, top 2 seeds will lose in this round. 
  • There are eight matchups that pair animated animals.  There is only one that matches up two animated humans.
It will be interesting to see how Round 2 plays out.  Keep voting everyone and check back this weekend for more thoughts and analysis.
http://cartoonvote.info/
Password: toonmadness

No comments:

Post a Comment