Here are some observations from Round 1:
- Both Simpsons characters, Homer and Bart, were eliminated in the first round. I'll admit Bart had a tough first round matchup against Donald Duck, but I thought Homer would breeze into the next round going up against Foghorn Leghorn. I guess Foghorn's classic appeal was too much to handle.
- Woody Woodpecker won a close battle with Speedy Gonzales. I totally underestimated Speedy's popularity. In my opinion, Woody is one of the all-time greats and I think he should easily breeze into the Elite Eight, if not the Final Four. Apparently, others don't share that opinion, as there was strong support for little Speedy.
- Barney Rubble upsets Underdog. This was one of two 14 over 3 upsets, but Transformers over Porky Pig was not as big a shock as this. Underdog has a balloon in the Thanksgiving Day parade for crying out loud. I really did not see Underdog getting bounced so early.
- Chip and Dale won pretty easily over the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. If I had to predict the matchups, I would have thought the Turtles would win this matchup. This is another example of the old school beating out a newer cartoon. Personally, I like it.
- Sentimental favorites like Grape Ape, Hong Kong Phooey, and Secret Squirrel all lost their opening matchups. I'm a little sad that neither of those three made it to the second round, but I will admit they were not the most popular of the Hanna-Barbera cartoons.
- Pluto was the only Disney character not to advance to Round 2. I think at least two more will bow out in this round.
- The Barney Rubble-Chilly Willy matchup ensures that a double digit seed will advance to the Sweet 16.
- The Animaniacs had a strong performance in Round 1 and I expect them to have another strong showing against Fred Flintstone in this round.
- I predict that at least one, if not two, top 2 seeds will lose in this round.
- There are eight matchups that pair animated animals. There is only one that matches up two animated humans.