Monday, February 20, 2012

Best Songs of All Time

I realize it's been quite a while since I've posted anything.  I just haven't exactly found the inspiration to write anything.  But as I was listening to music at work today, I started thinking about which songs would be my top five of all time.  So I decided to make a list.  I don't really have specific criteria for how I created this list other than the fact that I chose songs that are easy to listen to and which evoke some sort of emotional response.  Those who know me well know that I am a big fan of hip-hop and 90s music, so you may be surprised to see neither of those two genres represented in this list.  But as much as I like hip-hop, I couldn't justify putting any hip-hop song in the top five.  Nothing evokes that strong an emotional response or has the melodic harmony to outweigh any of my picks.  But maybe I'll do another list of top hip-hop songs to recognize those as well.  I realize there will be some disagreement, but I've included the songs for you all to listen to before you pass judgement.  So without further ado, here are my top five songs of all time:

5. "Good Vibrations" by The Beach Boys
The Beach Boys had a lot of great songs and I debated over which one should take the fifth spot on my list.  Ultimately, it came down to "Surfer Girl," "Sloop John B," and "Good Vibrations."  I went with "Good Vibrations" because, well, I just did.  It's a great song and I felt it deserved a spot on my list.

4. "Just My Imagination" by The Temptations
This is my favorite Temptations song.  I think it is just plain amazing.  Plus, everyone can relate to it.  We've all been lost in a daydream before or let our imagination go crazy.  The Temptations are another group that had a slew of hits, but this song is the most harmonious and melodic.  I don't really know if I'm using those terms correctly, but, again, my list, my rules.

3. "Midnight Train to Georgia" by Gladys Knight and the Pips
Very few songs tell a story like this one.  You can feel the emotion in Gladys Knight as she sings this song.  Add in the smooth background vocals of the Pips and you have a musical masterpiece.  I get goosebumps everytime I listen to this song.

2. "Trouble Man" by Marvin Gaye
Any list of top five songs of all time could easily consist of five Marvin Gaye songs.  "Ain't no Mountain High Enough" is my favorite song of all time.  "What's Going On" and "Mercy Mercy Me" are both powerful songs in their own right.  But I chose "Trouble Man" because of its diversity.  There is so much going on in this song and it all blends together perfectly.  Then you add in the powerful lyrics and you have perfection. 

1. "People Get Ready" by Curtis Mayfield and the Impressions
Everything about this song is beautiful.  The lyrics, the melody, the composition, all of it.  You can't help but have an emotional response when listening to this song.  It delivers a great message and does so in such a harmonious way that I challenge anyone to find a more well put-together song.  All I can really say is just listen.

Again, I realize that there may be some disagreement with this list, but that's what makes this fun.  I welcome your comments and thoughts.  Let me know which songs you think I should have included or if you think I nailed it on the head, which I think I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment